Thursday, August 14, 2008

Funny how some things get to you

It really is funny how some things get to you. I heard about the Olympic weightlifter who had a horrific looking injury - he dislocated his elbow, which means that his elbow went the wrong way when he was trying to lift a weight. It looks horrible (I cut that part out of the picture) and I imagine it doesn't feel particularly great either (from the look of pain on the pictures I saw, it looked like it was excruciating). Still, it's just a dislocation, and they were able to put it back in its proper location. He's probably done with weightlifting for the year, but he'll be OK. But when I looked at this picture, I got really sad. In this picture the wrestler looks kind of like my brother. He doesn't in other photos, but he does in this one, and it got to me seeing this man in pain. Maybe it just helps personalize it when I see it, imagining if it was my brother in such pain. I'm glad (and hopeful) he doesn't have to endure any pain like this. I'm really glad to know this man will be alright. If I remember, I'll post a photo of my brother so you can see how similar they look in this photo. (Edit: You can see the photo below. My cute little brother. Oh well, it's a good thing he doesn't do anything dangerous for a living like weightlifting. I mean, he's only in law enforcement. Yikes!)

I'm also amazed at our amazing bodies. Even something as horrific as this looks like can be easily recovered from in just a short amount of time. It looked like his arm was broken, but it's just dislocated. I'm so greatful for the amazing healing abilities the Lord has given us.

No comments: