
So I'm going to try a new thing on my blog. I was going to create a separate spiritual blog, but my friend Amy told me to just try doing a spiritual post once a week and see how that goes. Frankly, I feel that I've been going through the motions a lot lately and not really being spiritual. I think I have spiritual moments, but I wouldn't say I'm a spiritual person right now. I think I'm a good person, but I want to work on that, as I know at certain points I was very spiritual, and it radiated out of me. I remember one time in college one of my friends just looked at me when I came to visit and asked if I was alright - that I looked like I just had a spiritual experience and that it looked like it was radiating off of me. Now I hadn't at that point, but I figured it might have been a reflection of me at the time. Of course it helped that I was interested in the guy who said that and that of course got me really excited.
Any way, I feel that for awhile I've been what the scriptures have called lukewarm. Well, in a way. I think I'm on the hotter side of lukewarm, but still not the burning example I need to be. My scripture reading has been lackadasical, and I can't even tell you when I've last been a frequent journal writer (although theses blogs count, in a sense). I'm usually good at praying at least morning and night, but I haven't really had a good heart to heart with God for awhile. Even while serving as Relief Society President for my YSA ward and Young Women President, I don't think I was as spiritual as I needed. I need to capture that again. I hope to get the opportunity at some point in the future to show the Lord I can do it (as YW President or a councilor, not as RSP). I think I was a good social YWP for my girls, but I could have done so much more to be that spiritual leader they needed.
I think the reason I haven't been as diligent is partly due to a bit of depression. Frankly, being single sucks sometimes. Not all the time, and not usually, but enough so that when it hits, it hits. Trying to be that best I could be didn't help me attract any guys in college, and so I think I did a mini-rebel. Why put all the effort in reading scriptures when it hasn't done anything for me.
I even thought about compromising my standards - perhaps going to bars and clubs to try to meet people. Not doing anything bad - I wouldn't drink or do anything to violate my covenants, but still, not being around the people I should be around. Luckily a friend who has been there, done that set me straight and told me it wasn't worth it. And I agree.
So, I am going to do things to try to right my ship. Although I am past the recommended Institute of Religion age, I am going to go there again. I need that constant nourishment of the scriptures to rejuvenate me. I also need to make myself read the scriptures and to fall in love with them again. And say more earnest prayers.
This has been a trying time in my life. Although I am excited to move and look forward to the new opportunities that await me, there's still fear and trepidation of the unknown. The lonliness as I don't know that many people in the ward or stake. The fear of wondering if I'll find a renter for the condo, if there will be any major problems with the house, am I safe there, missing my friends from the home ward and stake who are moving on with their lives. And of course Jewely's death was the worst thing of all. I realize now how much she comforted me. She was the one creature who really liked to snuggle up to me anytime. I could always count on her to be near me. To be so excited when I got home. She was the one I had to watch out for the most - keep her safe as she hid under the blankets and the worry when she was outside (after hearing some horror stories, I was always afraid that some bird of prey would swoop her away before I could save her). She was the closest thing I had to a child. And now she's gone - and I dropped her. I know not to blame myself, but still, it's hard.
So as those who have read my blog know (about the baby shower - or babies?) or my Facebook status (where I admitted to the world that I was feeling a bit depressed), I am feeling a bit down overall right now. Besides other possible methods, I hope that a return to those fundamentals will help me feel better about myself. And of course some exercise wouldn't hurt, either.
So that's my goal - at least one entry a week of a more spiritual nature. And to in turn become a more spiritual person. To trully know and trust the Lord. To know that when I hear that no opportunity will be denied me if I follow the commandments and do what is right I won't be frustrated thinking that nothing will change, but trust that God will help me in getting over my obstacles in life.

4 comments:
Trust in the Lord with ALL thine heart and lean not on thine own understanding.
You are amazing. What a great idea, I need to get better about my spiritualality too. I love being around you and I know this commitment will help in some way, if nothing else, to become even closer to Heavenly Father.
Hang in there, girl. I'll be thinking of you. And thanks for your good example. xox
I love you Kirty!! I wish you were here!! I am STILL sick, I hope you are NOT!! We need to amp up our spiritual lives. If you would like your old hometeacher to use the priesthood for ya, holler. I do love you more than chocolate. Thanks for being my friend even when I am less than perfect. I am rooting for you!
Post a Comment