For Thanksgiving, I went to visit my family (I'll blog more about that later). But I went to church Sunday, at the ward I've been going since I was like ten, and for the closing prayer, the sister missionary said it all in Spanish. Now, I don't mind when they do stunts like this every once in awhile, but when they do it to show what it's like for those that don't speak our language, I have two points to make - first, this is the unofficial language of the country, and so should expect it won't be in their language (just as if I went to Mexico or Russia, I wouldn't expect to hear the service in English), and second, they have a translator translating the talk or prayer into Spanish. So my only complaint is why don't we get a translator to translate the prayer back into English. I can't say 'amen' at the end of the prayer if I don't know what's been said.
I did like that they had a Spanish speaking woman speak in my current ward, but they had someone translate all the time.
Anyway, I just had to write about my very minor annoyance at that.
Monday, December 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment