Monday, October 20, 2008

From the archives: George Strait Concert Review

I've got to see many George Strait concerts over the years. He is definitely my favorite singer. I just love almost every one of his songs. He could go on and sing for 4 hours and still have PLENTY of songs he wouldn't have played that I would have liked.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008
George Strait Concert Review Current mood: calm Category: Music
Last Friday night, March 28th, I got to see George Strait. It was a fantastic concert. I had a lot of fun.

My friend Jennifer invited me to go to the concert with her and some friends. I gladly accepted. The tickets were only $35. When my mom and I were thinking of going to see George Strait in Fresno, by the time she was able to call them, they only had nosebleed seats left and they were still $70. So we passed. These were nosebleeds to, but for only $35, I’ll gladly take it.

I went with Jennifer, our friend Chris, and two other friends of Jennifer’s. Chris isn’t much of a country fan, but someone else canceled, so he went.
This was at least my tenth George Strait concert (let’s see, about three at least before going to school - one in SLC, one George Strait Country Music Festival in Provo (that was probably the weirdest GS concert - no beer or cigarettes - it was great), one other festival in Las Vegas, one concert in Sacramento, one at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, and this one at Oakland’s Oracle Arena. I’m sure there are two other ones I haven’t accounted for here. Anyway, the GSCMF concerts were actually a low point for George. They had gotten boring, especially compared to Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney. He played a lot of other people’s old school country, and it just wasn’t that exciting any more. The concert in Sacramento, when I went with my sister and her friends changed all of that. He now plays a LOT of his own songs. It’s cool. And the last three concerts have had a different mix of songs. He’ll always sing Amarillo By Morning, end the main concert with Unwound, and end the encore with The Cowboy Rides Away, but most of the other songs were either different, or not as often heard as those ones. He didn’t even sing one of my least favorite songs, which I’ve heard at EVERY concert for years, Milk Cow Blues. I was a little shocked at that.

The concert was great. GS seemed to enjoy himself and so did we. Even Chris seemed to enjoy himself, especially making cat calls and yee haws. I did get beer or something pouring down my back. The people behind me had dropped it. I didn’t realize it right away, and they didn’t acknowledge it at all. It was annoying, but it wasn’t too bad. It quickly dried enough that I was able to enjoy the concert. I had kind of expected to hear some more of his songs from the 80s and early 90s, to tell you the truth, but this concert seemed to be heavier on songs from the last ten years. Man, I could easily listen to a ten hour concert from him. With breaks, of course, but man, he has so many songs he could sing!

George Strait doesn’t move around the stage much, but his music moves for me. I guess that’s why I enjoy his concerts for me. I always get a little sad when I start to hear Unwound, knowing the concert’s almost over. And then when I hear the Cowboy Rides Away, I get prepared to say goodbye to George until next time. See you next trip!
George Strait in Oakland

George Strait also in Oakland

[New] Link to review: http://www.ibabuzz.com/concerts/2008/03/29/george-strait-is-king-of-country-in-oakland/

No comments: