A few years ago, the Discovery Channel ran a series on who America thought was the Greatest American. Matt Lauer was the host and you could see his grimaced face as Ronald Reagan was voted as the top American. Anyway, since that time, I always thought about who would be on my list of top Americans. Now, I'm going to exlude people that pretty much pertain only to me, even though I think my mom and dad are the greatest. I figure I should put people who have made some sort of historical mark on the country. This list is from my perspective. I imagine most members of the Church will agree with my #1, but I bet everyone can come up with their own unique list. It's kind of fun. Now, here goes...
Right now, I only have seven people. I will work on the other three as I feel who they should be.
7) Jimmy Stewart - I'm not that big on entertainers being in the top ten, but Jimmy Stewart is an icon. His roles are still powerful and have an impact on society. From 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington' to 'What a Wonderful Life', Jimmy Stewart gave hope to our life and society. And of course he's in one of my favorite movies, 'Rear Window'. There was something comforting about him and his performances.
6) Ronald Reagan - OK, the original #1. I loved Ronald Reagan, but I still have to put Lincoln, Washington, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and Walt Disney in front of him. OK, he should probably go in front of Disney, but hey, I am the 'Disney'Coug! His leadership overcoming the Communists and his great communication skills comforted out country. He helped lead us out of the dispair out country was in at the end of the 70s. I will always remember his words after the Challenger disaster.
5) Walt Disney - I can't say enough about this man. His creative talents have resulted in the Happiest Place on Earth. His imagination lets us all relive our childhood and to spend time being together as a family.
4) Abraham Lincoln - He helped to reunite our country and freed the slaves. His discussions with Stephen Douglas are legendary.
3) Brigham Young - After the devastating murder of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young was able to unite the Saints (well, most of them, some did fall away) and lead them across the country to the Salt Lake Valley. His leadership then and subsequently as he led the Saints in Utah is just phenomenal.
2) George Washington - the more and more I learn of George Washington, the more I'm impressed with him. He was so respected that he could have easily become King of America, but knew he didn't want that and the country didn't need that. He also ws the one who said it was fine to just call him 'Mr. President' instead of 'Your Majesty' or other such titles. He valiantly led the troops in very desperate circumstances and helped make our country what it is today. He is America.
1) Joseph Smith - To me, no other American can top what Joseph Smith did for our country and our world - he was the chosen Prophet to bring in the restoration of the Gospel.
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment