My postcard shot, taken by me.
Our next stop was Monaco. It is the second smallest independent municipality in the world, second to the Vatican. So I've been to the two smallest 'countries' in the world. Much of Europe used to consist of these independent municipalities, before Italy and France were united. Monaco was able to stay independent. It is by the Italian border, but it is entirely engulfed by France.
So many yachts. And BIG yachts!
We went to check out old Monaco, where the palace is, first. We thought at first everything was closed, because there's a mid level that was all closed that day(elevators and escalators so nobody has to strain to visit Monaco). We finally realized we needed to keep going up. Our first stop was the gift shop of the Ocean Museum, which is world famous and evidently a very good museum. We didn't have time to go, but I wouldn't mind going again sometime.
Nobody that works in Monaco lives there. They don't make enough. To live in Monaco you have to make a minimum amount of money. Don't worry, you don't make enough. All the workers live in France. So it's interesting, the two smallest countries have the strictest population controls. In the Vatican, children of Vatican citizens only have a temporary passport, and are given dual Italian membership. Once they turn 18, it's goodbye Vatican citizenship.
We made it in time to watch the changing of the guard. It was fun. Not as elaborate as Englands, but still very good.
This is the cathedral where Grace Kelly married Prince Phillip and became Princess Grace. There were pictures of her everywhere.
Beautiful cliffs. There was also a great spot to go swimming. I'd love to come there in warmer weather!
We made a quick trip to Nice, France. It was late enough we didn't have time to go visit the famous crescent beach, but it was fun to take the train and visit a new stop. And my first entry into France. This is a photo from Nice.
And we made it back and went to Monte Carlo, the section of Monaco that includes the Casino. This is the big hotel that all the big wigs stay at when they visit.
And here's the world famous Monte Carlo casino. Because you had to pay to enter, I had no desire to enter. And although they loosen up the dress requirements earlier in the day, by the time we got there I doubt we'd be able to get in anyway.
Historically, Monaco, which at one time had been a wealthy country, their fortunes changed, and to try to keep from becoming bankrupt, they introduced gambling. It's worked VERY well for them.
I'm definitely glad I got to see Monaco. It was a lot of fun and a beautiful place. I hope to go back someday soon.

1 comment:
Wow, ritzy. I'd love to go swimming, so beautiful and peaceful.
I'm guessing the population control is to keep them the smallest countries. Just a guess. As for the money, for sure I'd never live there. Poor has it's drawbacks but sometimes it has it's benefits to. LOL
Post a Comment