(Don't forget to check for previous entries. This is my second post today)
Our first port of call was Sorrento, Italy. It's south of Rome. Sorrento is close to Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius, Naples, and the Island of Capri. Mom wasn't feeling well, so I went to explore it on my own.
As you can see from the pictures, Sorrento is above the sea level, high above the cliffs. We tendered in from the bay and then you could either pay for a shuttle to take you to the top or walk up yourself. I chose to walk up myself. It's a beautiful city with lots of great shops.
And I have a little confession. As I was walking around the city, a man rode on his scooter (they ALL have scooters in Italy - such narrow streets) and as he passed, he turned around and talked to me. He was a man in his 30s, cute (not German cute - oh, I didn't mention how in the Frankfurt airport there were tons of hotties - and one I was so close to just going up to and proclaiming him mine). Anyway, he wanted to talk to me and asked if it was OK if we met later for coffee. I told him yes (and would tell him later that I didn't drink coffee and would have something else) and so I was supposed to meet with him. But.... I didn't. Something just didn't jive with me. He couldn't have seen much of me before he turned around (my back was to him) and I just kept thinking something was up. I didn't feel unsafe, just that something was disingenuous about it. I still regret not at least meeting him and seeing what would happen, but I was concerned about my mom and wanted to get back to the ship. My mom told me later, "well, they'll never make a movie about your love life." Ouch! I guess that's a reflection of my self esteem. I just didn't think there'd be any way a guy would be interested in getting to know me more just by seeing my back side for a second. Oh well, maybe I'll get another opportunity for that great love story later on. I guess I'm just weak sauce.
But I did do some more exploring of Sorrento.
From the street level you can look down and see this old building. I have no idea what this is or how old it is, but I thought it looked cool. This is me taking the picture from street level.
Sorrento is known for it's lemoncello, a very strong alcoholic drink. Of course I didn't try it, but the bottles looked cute. Sorrento is also known for its inlaid woodwork. I kept wanting to find a good advent calendar, but couldn't find one. I should have bought something in wood, because it was just so beautiful.
Once I got back on the ship, I watched the sunset. I took many, many great shots of the beautiful sunsets on this trip. But I was ready for the next day and our trip to Pompeii!

3 comments:
Sounds like a fantastic vacation.
Gorgeous!
I love the water along the cliffs, so beautiful. Sorry about the guy but you did see the movie taken, didn't you. If he didn't jive with you then maybe it wasn't a missed love story but the opportunity to be alive to tell other stories.
Post a Comment